Better living through bowling

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Thursday Night Bowling at Sue Rich Lanes

Empty lanes

June Bug, Da Bone Jah, The Late JC and I arrived at Sue Rich Lanes in good old SLC around 9 to find the place completely empty. As you can see, Sue Rich is one of the last of the small bowling alleys with only 12 lanes. It is surprising that a place like Sue Rich can compete against the mega-plex bowling alleys. It is undoubtedly because the family has owned the alley for many years and the overhead is not too eggregiously high even if you only have leagues playing Monday through Wednesday.

June Bug admires her ball

We were given lane 8, smack dab in the middle. June Bug quickly found a suitable ball. It took me a bit longer, but I found a ball I called the General because of its 5 stars with the hope that as a 16 pounder it would do me well:

THE GENERAL

All this, of course, made me realize again the necessity of getting my own ball. The Late JC and Da Bone Jah had their own ball and prepared it adequately:

The Late JC cleans his equipment

Da Bone Jah joins in

LJC and DBJ share Homer, the ball we bought JC for his birthday back in May.

HOMER

Our first game was a bust. I won it with a pathetic 114. We all broke a hundred, but it certainly didn't bode well for the night.

Da Bone Jah displays a mighty form

Luckilly, our next game picked up. The Late JC won with an awesome 181, while I managed to pull my first strikes of the night and a slew of spares to get a 150. JC had a turkey and a half. Da Bone Jah and June Bug's scores also improved.

Oh yeah!

Game 2

Not a bad round and I was feeling a hell of a lot better afterwards. My posture was right, but the General just didn't have much bounce to get me the strikes I needed.

The Orris disgusted with left pins

Our final game was more average. JC fell off his high from the previous game, but June Bug and Da Bone Jah found their form. I had a middling 132 to carry out a solid 2nd place finish overall.

The end of another night of bowling

Not a bad night, in all. Not a great one but well worth the effort.

As we were leaving I spied a rather interesting ball in the pro shop:

Dale Earnhardt Ball

I might just have to get it since it would represent my crash-and-burn style rather well, I think.

1 Comments:

Blogger Condiment said...

Excellent photo essay, Orris. I wonder if anyone's ever made a glossy coffee table book with fine photographic prints of bowling. That could be a good project. Get out the 4x5 view camera and shoot stills of bowling and then sell them for $1k a piece.

9:49 PM PDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home