Better living through bowling

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Bowling Sonnet

When I first came to Utah in 1998, I took a poetry class from a formalist who required everyone to write sonnets. I think it was the first sonnet I had ever written. It was about bowling. It went something like this:

Catholic Night at Big Junction Bowling Alley

All the grown up choir boys are here,
wearing crosses and Virgin Mary pins.
Each tells the story of his highest score,
like a sinner taking measure of his sins.
For each of them, league night is confession,
the trespasses of their days made tangible.
When pins fall, it's not bowling, it's redemption,
a need that Hail Marys can't fulfill.
Every Strike dissolves a strike (adultery?),
and every Spare spares them a wrong they've done.
For every ball they throw they feel less guilty.
And each bowls against his sins: one on one.
And every frame they play enacts their goal:
The fallen swept away and brought back whole.

Condiment may feel that sonnets are too high brow for this low brow endeavor, but the Bowling makes the sonnet middlebrow.
I plan on taking Son bowling this weekend, so hopefully I'll have some news soon. Some real low brow bowling news, I mean.

2 Comments:

Blogger Condiment said...

Jeez, one little offhand joke and you academic types get all snippy! Sheesh!

Seriously, though, welcome Lynn. I love your beautiful poem...the bowling sonnet is the perfect combination of the high and the low...as someone else once said. We will make this blog respectable yet.

9:42 AM PDT

 
Blogger Condiment said...

You know, I like this so much that I'm going to put it permanently in the side bar as the Syndicate Fight Song (right next to the Syndicate Official Seal and the Syndicate Flag and the Syndicate Secret Handshake).

9:14 PM PDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home