Better living through bowling

Thursday, November 10, 2005

I just need 6 other guys with problematic bodily functions and be 3.5 feet shorter and I'll have quite a bowling squad

I was coming down with a cold on Tuesday night and because of that and pointless worrying about a subject not worth mentioning here, I got a sum total of about an hour's sleep. Now even an hour's worth of sleep can be quite refreshing, but this sleep was cat-nappish and as I am not a cat, it did me little good. All yesterday, therefore, I was in that I've got a cold and I haven't slept daze; everything seemed set on edge. I was happy to get back from the College and crash for a few hours. Ah to sleep. Perchance to dream of…

"Jen and Dustin and I are thinking of going bowling." It was housemate who is not in Jamaica. I was on the downstairs crashed in front of the TV watching poker (where the world tournament of bowling, I ask you? Surely it is far more interesting than watching some nerd winning a million bucks?)

"Sure," I said in the still not enough sleep stupor. It took me only a second to debate whether I should go.

So we went to the usual Sue Rich and we all rolled some pretty fine games; well all except housemate JC who had a cut on his thumb that until he sucked it up and decided to play through the pain and then managed to pull out consecutive strikes and some killer 9th/10th frame finales.

June Bug's score was equally respectable. She squared up and took 5 or six strikes in toto. She has developed a wicked curve that often sneaks in at the last second and hits the head pin and then swoops through the back 9 in angry rhino fashion.

My scores were better than my usual of late, but nothing to jump up and sing happy hallelujah for. Let's just say that I averaged over 120 and had my strongest game with a 138. That sucks in comparison to what I was bowling earlier this year, but good for the equipment (a ball named Roy) that looked to be older than me. I was noticeably sleepy in that way that is nearly painful, but it gave me the certain focus I have been lacking of late on some throws.

The surprise for the night was Dustin who proclaimed openly and loudly "I hate bowling" ever time he stood up and bowled strike after strike. (It was a good fake and worked on getting his focus down.) Dustin has one of those wicked across the lane spare shots that was dead on as well. He sagged a little bit in the middle when he stopped his pre-roll incantation, so he took it up again and it worked and he rolled several more strikes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Condiment said...

I would like to see some "I hate bowling" T-shirts make their way into existence. Or "I fail at bowling" or something like that. Or "Bowling grinds my soul right on down and that is why I love it so."

9:10 PM PST

 
Blogger Clint Gardner said...

Your wish is my command:

http://www.cafepress.com/bowlsyn

7:04 AM PST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home