Better living through bowling

Monday, October 17, 2005

Chance Meeting

On this illustriously wet and rainy day in beautiful Southern California I decided to partake in a little bowling. I decided this around eleven am and proceeded to call Lintinin. Well needless to say he had work to attend to. So then I called Sterling only to receive his voicemail. After two failed attempts to have a buddy bowler I decide solobowl is better than nobowl.

The Shatto is pretty dead when I get there (It’s a Monday afternoon for god sake.) I pay for my three games up front and head to lane 31. The Heat is entered as my name and I don my shoes. I am still attempting this new technique of bowling that the denim clad man has passed on to me, so I take my time, roll and get nine. I begin to think about what I am doing when out of the corner of my eye I notice a large ominous figure getting some shoes. I slowly walk towards this figure feeling as though I have seen this person before. The figure turns and I see who it is, and with a smile the Condiment says hello.

I say Condiment to you only because that is how he is known, but on this day the Condiment has taken to an alias.  Captain Bingo. At first I wondered if this was some new strategy or just plain old good-natured fun. But then I said to myself it has to be the latter, because there is no strategy associated with the Condiment, only bowl.

Captain Bingo is now entered into lane 31 underneath The Heat and another wonderful day at the Shatto had begun. Still working out the kinks in my new form I ended game one with a 113. Captain Bingo was right there with me in score until the tenth frame. He rolled and got a strike which gave him 106. Next ball he rolled and got eight. He had won already, but still one more ball to roll. I must tell you this, no one not even the Condiment could have guessed what would happen next. This was a game of strikes every once and a while but no spares whatsoever. Until. Captain Bingo rolled his last ball, hit the two pins to pick up the spare, and then turned in angered happiness over his win, when suddenly the power went out. Pitch Black. Scientist will for many years argue over what the actual cause of this brief power loss was. Was it the sheer power of Captain Bingo or was it the fact that a spare was picked up causing the Accu-score machine to have a slight hiccup which in turn caused all of the processing power available to Accu-score to be accessed at one time in turn boosting its power consumption needs and briefly shutting down power at the Shatto? Who knows? But once order was restored Accu-score still had the score of the game on the screen. The Heat 113. Captain Bingo 116.

Game two was all Captain Bingo. I still attempting this new technique bowled a respectful 137. Bingo 168.

Game three. I started getting somewhat of a hang of this new technique, but of course there were times of shame. On one instance I took my back swing and nearly dropped the ball behind me. Luckily I mustered enough strength to bring the ball forward and directly into the gutter. I ended with a 140. As for Bingo his game was not going so well. He states that he was trying to aim and if anyone has pitched before they should know that to aim is not good, just throw. Bingo ended with I believe a 110 or 111. I am not sure. I do, however, know that our averages were about the same for the day.

The Heat         130 Average
Captain Bingo 131.6666666 Average

Once again the Shatto comes through with another good post. So now the question is when are all of the LA contingency of the syndicate going to meet up for a bowl?

4 Comments:

Blogger Condiment said...

Here are the scores:
Game 1:
The Heat 113
Capn Bingo 116

Game 2:
The Heat 137
Capn Bingo 168

Game 3:
The Heat 140
Capn Bingo 115

Notes: Heat bowls three strikes in four frames in game one and still only scores a 113, that's how badly he was doing.

Condiment gets four splits in first 8 frames of game one. Converts none of them (of course)

There was the very amazing Power Outage Incident mentioned by Heat...which coincided perfectly with the end of our game. What was more amazing than the minute-long power outage itself was the fact that the Accuscore still had our game intact when it came to life again.

Capn alternates spares and strikes over the first five frames in game two, getting 100 pins by frame five and setting up a 200 pace, before the meltdown occurs.

Heat bowls an average of six gutter balls per game (I think).

Heat bowls a ball right into the pocket and still leaves five pins standing, believe it or not!

Bingo leaves in a muted rage, appropriately.

5:24 PM PDT

 
Blogger Condiment said...

I should also mention that today was the Day of Incredible Coincidences. There is the coincidence of Bingo arriving at the instant Heat rolls the very first ball of his very first game. There is the one-minute blackout that occurred after I converted that third-ball spare to finish game one. But also there is the punishing freak hailstorm that occurred this morning at 11am, at the precise moment Heat conceived the idea to go bowling today. Co-incidental, yes. Coincidental? I think not.

8:08 PM PDT

 
Blogger Condiment said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:12 AM PDT

 
Blogger Condiment said...

I will top you.

12:47 AM PDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home